|Not the best photo (taken right before a|
morning meeting...but it tasted great!)
Lemon Lover's Coffee Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 30 minutes, Modified from Betty Crocker
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3/4 c butter, softened
- 2 t. grated lemon peel
- 3/4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. vanilla (I add closer to 1 t.)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 jar lemon curd (I like Dickinson's, but you could also make your own if you are ambitious)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom & sides of an 11x9" baking dish.
2. In a large bowl beat together the sugar, butter, lemon peel, baking powder, vanilla, & eggs with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed. Mix on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes. Fold in flour & stir until incorporated. Spread cake batter into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon lemon curd by rounded teaspoonful onto the top of the cake. I make 4 rows of 3.
|I grate the lemon peel the night before, preserve it with a little|
squeeze of lemon juice & tightly seal it in the fridge overnight..
This cuts down on the prep time in the morning.
|Raw cake. When it cooks, the curd will|
sink down into the cake.
3. Bake for 23-26 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven & let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle with glaze (recipe below).
|Apparently it was a success...this is what|
I brought back home that night...
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 T. lemon juice
Mix together. If you want a stiffer glaze, add more sugar.