If you don't have access to these style of beef short ribs, you can also substitute thick-sliced beef chuck roast, rib eye (reduce the cooking time), or any other heavily marbled tough cut of beef that you normally need to cook long & slow. Also, depending on the type of soy sauce you use, this recipe can be made as a gluten-free recipe.
Korean BBQ Short Ribs (modified from Allrecipes.com submission from user funinthesun)
Serves 3-4. Actual cooking time 4-6 hours. 8-30 hours including marinating time.
- 2-3 pounds short ribs
- 3/4 c soy sauce
- 3/4 c water
- 3 T white vinegar
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar
- 1 T ground black pepper
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1 garlic bulb- cloves peeled & minced
- 1 small/medium yellow or white onion, minced
- 1 t. garlic chili sauce [optional]
- 1 green onion, chopped [optional]
1. Remove short ribs from packaging. Rinse & rub the individual ribs under cool running water to remove any bone fragments from the butchering process.
|Raw ribs, post rinsing. Do not forget to rinse the short|
ribs...otherwise you will end up chewing on bone fragments.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all other ingredients (minus the green onion). Add the ribs to the marinade. Cover & refrigerate ribs, marinating for 4-24 hours. (I marinated them for around 14 hours)
|Ribs bathing in the marinade, ready for a snooze in|
3. Remove ribs from the refrigerator. Carefully layer the ribs into a large slow cooker & pour marinade over the ribs. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. [optional] Carefully turn ribs halfway through the cooking process.
|Ribs post marinating overnight.|
|Ribs in the slow cooker. Halfway done.|
4. Carefully remove the ribs from the cooking liquid. Some of the bones may fall out of the meat, that is fine. [Optional] Transfer the ribs to a pre-warmed grill on Medium heat. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until meat has grill marks.
|Ribs getting some grill marks & caramel'y flavor.|
5. Remove ribs from heat. Plate & garnish with chopped green onion.