Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Garden Saute--fresh from our garden

Our garden is beginning to kick out a lot of produce...and I'm really excited by that!  Not only do super fresh veggies taste better, they help to save a ton of money off of my grocery bill.  It's looking like we are going to have a bumper crop of squash, zucchini & green beans.  I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of flash-freezing of veggies in the next few weeks.

This was tonight's harvest. Nothing like something being on the vine & then in my skillet 5 minutes later...

Fresh picked goodness
This is a recipe I came up with a few years ago when I was getting squash for super cheap at Meijer.  Now that we have our own squash source, it will be on the menu frequently this summer.  I make this both with & without mushrooms...depending on what I have in my fridge.This recipe is gluten free & can be vegetarian if you omit the parmesan cheese.


Garden Saute
Prep time= 5 min, Cook time= 8-10 minutes, Serves 4-6


Ingredients
Ingredient lineup...minus the basil

  • 2 T. olive oil (can reduce to 1 T.)
  • 1-3 small summer squash
  • 1-3 small zucchini squash
  • 1 cup green beans
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • Handful of button or baby bella mushrooms, halved [optional]
  • 1 T. red wine vinegar
  • 1 t. oregano, dried
  • 1/2 t. ground white pepper
  • 3-4 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced (approximately 2 t.)
  • 2 T. shredded parmesan [optional]
  • salt [optional]
Directions

1.  Rinse & coarsely chop the squash, zucchini, & onion.
I like to cut the zucchini in half & then slice it...it doesn't
roll around on the plate that way...

Slice the onion into large wedges


2.  Preheat olive oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large skillet.

3.  Add the garlic & onions, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Onion & garlic cooking in the wok...

4. Add the squash, zucchini, green beans & mushrooms.  Top with the red wine vinegar, oregano, white pepper, & basil.  Cook, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables reach desired doneness.

Cook & stir...

until tender & it starts to caramelize...

5.  Move vegetables to a serving dish & sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with salt if desired.  Serve & enjoy.
Delicious

I served the garden saute with pan seared
garlic rosemary beef tenderloin tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment